The ODS Briefcase is a WebDAV?-compliant platform that offers file-sharing functionality via a "Briefcase Data Space".
Its standards-compliance enables the exploitation of File Server functionality via the following methods:
- Web Browser-based interactions
- Web Services - direct use of the HTTP based WebDAV? protocol
- Semantic Web's SPARQL Query Language - all WebDAV? resources are exposed as SIOC Ontology instance data (RDF Data Sets)
- Automatic Metadata Management - ODS automatically extracts file metadata from a wide array of file formats at file upload time.
The metadata is available in two forms --
- Pure WebDAV? and
- RDF-XML or N3/Turtle, optionally synchronized with the underlying Virtuoso Triple Store.
- Automatic metadata-extraction from many known file types - MS Office, Open Office, Open Document Format, Content Syndication Formats (RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, OPML, OCS), (X)HTML, Web Services Contract Files (BPEL, WSDL), XBRL, XBEL, FOAF, iCalendar, hCalendar, vCARD, Google Base Items, and other formats.
- Powerful Full-Text Search - including WebDAV? metadata, physical properties such as path, filename, content words, individual and group ownership, mime type, date range, and tags
- Flexible Data Access - all Briefcase data is accessible via SPARQL, GData, and Briefcase Service-specific Web Services
- Open Data Access - transparent integration with any WebDAV?-compliant environment, e.g., Mac OS X Finder, Windows Network Places, Linux DAV Mount, and others
- Security - UNIX-like file-permission system or Access Control Lists (ACLs)
- Unified Storage - a central storage and access point for all ODS application data
- Virtual WebDAV? Resources - even when the actual data in question isn't a physical WebDAV? resource it can still be viewed in the Briefcase via Virtual WebDAV? VIEWs
- Smart Folders for custom association of resource types with virtual folders.
For example, you can navigate to, or enter, the path
DAV/home/[username]/Items/Graphics/Type/JPEG to list all the graphic images that are of type JPEG for a given user.
- Resource tagging - enabling the categorization of content by user-defined tags.
These tags are also usable within Free Text Searches of Briefcase content
- Shared Folders View - shows all collections and resources to which the user has been granted access
- Version Control - Versioning can be enabled for any resource using any client supporting the DeltaV? core feature set.
Historical versions of resources will appear in a separate virtual folder.
DeltaV? core WebDAV? methods are supported for resources for which versioning has been enabled.
How Do I ...?
Quick Start Guides
CategoryODS CategoryBriefcase CategoryOpenSource CategoryOdsBriefcase CategoryDocumentation CategoryWebSite