- What are Data Spaces?
- What is
- Challenges Alleviated via ODS
- Product Features
- Application Components
- Getting Started
- Third-Party Platform Integration
- ODS Tutorials
- Reference Guides
- Weblogs & Commentary
- Additional Information
A named structured data cluster within a distributed data network where each item of data (each "datum") has a unique identifier. Fundamental characteristics of data spaces include:
- Each Data Item is a Data Object endowed with a unique HTTP-based Identifier
- Data Object Identity is distinct from its Content, Structure, and Location (Address)
- Data Object Representation is delivered via structured content constrained by a Schema (in this case the Entity-Attribute-Value model)
- Creation, Update, and Deletion privileges are controlled by the Data Space owner.
In relation to the Web, data spaces provide clustered points of access to data object; basically, they provide structured data access partitioning just as 'machine names' provide name oriented partitioning for DNS and 'table names' the same for database systems.
Data Spaces provide a powerful conceptual model based virtualization layer that sits atop heterogeneous data sources. They enable the creation, publication, and general management of structured data items (data objects) from a pool of disparate data sources. Examples include:
- Structured profiles for individuals or organizations (and other groups) exposing rich metadata for:
- Online Accounts
- Favorite Things
- Likes and Dislikes
- Areas of Interest
- Product & Service Wish-Lists
- Product & Service Offer-Lists
- Shared application spaces such as:
- file sharing
- feed subscriptions
- discussions & conversations
- instant messaging
- publish (upstream) & subscribe (downstream) model data exchange
Every item of data within an ODS instance is endowed with a de-referenceable URI. This enables any HTTP-compatible client to obtain a negotiated representation of the description of any ODS data item.
User content across the Web, both Intranet and Extranet, is growing exponentially, while time, attention, and comprehension of the resulting data streams is at best static, and typically shrinking. Compounding the problem is the fact that the exponential growth of user generated data has resulted in a proliferation of data silos, due to the popularity of Web 2.0 solution patterns.
All of this is happening at a time when individuals and organizations alike are seeking to do more with less, by exploiting the agility-producing powers of "Open Data Access" across enterprise and/or Web domains.
ODS supports a number of Query Services:
ODS supports the following publishing protocols:
- Atom 1.0
- Moveable Type
- ODS-Framework -- An OpenID- and Yadis-compliant Framework for building Distributed Collaborative Applications that are equipped with Single-Sign-On (SSO) functionality and auto-generated RDF Data Spaces
- ODS-Addressbook -- An Address Book Manager
- ODS-Bookmark-Manager -- A Shared Bookmark Manager
- ODS-Briefcase -- A WebDAV-based Unified Storage Solution that incorporates automated extraction and management of metadata
- ODS-Calendar -- A Calendar manager
- ODS-Community -- Group/Community Mode service for all of the ODS-* applications
- ODS-Discussions -- Web-based Newsgroups Aggregator and Reader.
- ODS-eCRM -- Web-based Customer Relationship Manager.
- ODS-Feed-Manager -- An RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, OPML, and OCS Feed Aggregator
- ODS-Gallery -- Photo & General Media Sharing
- ODS-Mail -- A Web-based Email Client
- ODS-Polls -- Polls Manager
- ODS-Weblog -- A comprehensive blogging platform supporting all the major publishing protocols (Atom, Moveable Type, Meta Weblog, and Blogger) and includes automatic generation of content-syndication gems in RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, Atom, SIOC, OPML, OCS, and other formats
- ODS-Wiki -- A Wiki Platform supporting the Atom Publishing Protocol, Twiki, MediaWiki (Wikimedia), and Creole markup dialects
- ODS OpenID and Yadis Release
- ODS OpenID support
- ODS Yadis support
- ODS RDF Sink folder support
- OpenSocial API support
- ODS <a>++ Links support
- WebDAV browse feature for ODS users
- (ODS) accounts perform SPARUL over SPARQL using the new "/sparql-auth" endpoint
- Virtuoso ODS Ubiquity Commands support
ODS is pre-installed as part of the demonstration database (
demo.db) bundled with OpenLink Virtuoso Open-Source Edition.
If you are running the server with the default demo database configuration, simply point your browser to
See Setting up ODS for a simple configuration guide.
- Get a Personal URI via ODS in 5 minutes or less!
- Generate an X.509 Certificate hosted WebID?
- How can I use the WebID Identity Provider Proxy Service?
- How can I use the Delegated WebID Verification Service?
- Constrain Resource Access To Group Members using SPARQL ASK Query and Web-accessible Linked Data?
- Constrain Resource Access Using Social Relationship Semantics and WebID?
- Use WebID Protocol?
- Set up PubSubHub in ODS?
- Set Up PubSubHub to use WebID Protocol- or IP-based control lists?
- Set up WebID ACL for ODS Dataspace Instance?
- Use the OAuth supported features?
- Use the OAuth-Simple Web Discovery feature?
- Use the REST supported features?
- Create & Share Automatic Content Tagging Rules
- Use ODS Application Endpoints (URL Redirection)?
- Set up Login Authentication Keys?
- Give My Data Space Content Tags Meaning via MOAT Ontology
- Get Data into Virtuoso Quad Store via the ODS-Briefcase's special RDF Sink Folder
- Manage my resources, bookmarks, contacts, calendar events and tasks?
- Use the Virtuoso ODS Ubiquity Commands?
- Set <a>++ links?
- Register ODS User with OpenID2?
- Use WebDAV extractor to insert triples via SPARUL into the Quad Store
- Learn About Virtuoso's SPARQL Query Language Support, By Example?
- Manage Facebook integration?
- Use the Semantic Pingback?
- Perform the Distributed Social Network use case specified by SWATO level 0?
- Perform SPARUL over SPARQL using the "/sparql-auth" endpoint?
- Synchronize my events, tasks and contacts using SyncML?
- Administrate ODS User Profile using Third Party Languages?
- Use SPARQL to Query?
- General Intranet Quick Start Guides by functionality realm
- ODS-Profile Manger Usage Guide
- ODS SIOC Query Tutorial
- ODS Ubiquity Commands Tutorials
- OAuth Ubiquity Tutorial
- SPARQL OAuth Tutorial
- WebID Protocol & SPARQL Endpoint ACLs Tutorial
- Register ODS User with OpenID2 Tutorial
- SWATO Tutorial
- SPARQL Tutorials Part 1: Using SIOC to Model the Linked Data Web
- SPARQL Tutorials Part 2: SPARQL Extensions in the Virtuoso Universal Server
- SPARQL Tutorials Part 3: SPARQL and Analytics
- SPARQL Tutorials Part 4: Exploring FOAF-, Atom OWL-, Annotea-, and SKOS-based Data Spaces on the Linked Data Web
- ODS Programmers' Guide
- ODS SIOC Reference
- Virtuoso OAuth Programmers' Guide.
- Virtuoso Technology Blog
- Kingsley Idehen's Blog Data Space
- Kingsley Idehen's Data Space commentary and articles
- Orri Erling's Weblog Data Space.